Thursday, August 19, 2010

Cooking Without Water...

...or soap or a stove or pots or utensils or cutting boards or big knives or a fridge or a microwave or... anything else. How did we do it? Excellent planning.

Food was one of the biggest concerns when we started planning our camping and canoeing trip. We needed substantial protein-filled food, but it needed to be able to handle being lugged around in the hot sun. I think we were all pleased with our large bags of trail mix, oatmeal cookies, peanut butter, bags of celery, bags of sliced carrots, bread, granola bars, apples, and oranges. But you can't go for two days without hot food, and I can't go for two days without doing at least a little cooking.

Alex couldn't come to our first day of canoeing, where we would spend hours canoeing eleven miles to the campsite, so we decided that he would drive to the campsite directly and meet us in the evening. He was a life-saver. His car not only carried folding chairs, a guitar, a lantern, paper towels, and an extra tent just in case, but a small cooler and a few bags of food. After we started a fire (thank you Boy Scouts of America), we got to work on dinner.

I cut six sections of tin foil and spread them on the picnic table. On each, I sprinkled an equal share of potato that Alex had peeled, cut into chunks, and put into a zip loc bag to facilitate easy assembly. After doing the same with a bag of onions and a package of shredded cheddar cheese, I sprinkled on a bit of chili powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. I folded up the tin foil into little packages and cut a few holes with a leatherman. Into the fire went our hobo dinners.
While they were cooking, we stabbed hot dogs with sticks and held them over the fire. Unfortunately, we had forgotten ketchup, which is one of my main food groups, but we feasted on hot dogs with left over cheddar and chili powder. Eventually we grabbed our hobo dinners from the fire with tongs and opened them up. Although the cheese was a bit burnt, the potatoes and  onions were the best substantial camping meal I could have asked for.
And luckily for you, I have it on camera. Due to her desire for a technology free weekend, my sister asked me to put my project on pause during our camping trip, so I went with no camera and no phone. It felt very strange to not take pictures of my food, but hey, many other parts of camping are strange (like the lack of toilet paper). Karen did bring her camera, however. While I didn't record everything, like I usually do, I did manage to snap a few shots of dinner, just for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment