Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The End


For an entire month, I have been attempting to write down the end. Between the daily parade of school assignments, the thick fog of college applications steadily rolling towards me, and a thousand other stresses that distract me, I have put off writing this page again and again. But as there is no time like the present and the present is one month overdue, I am just going to begin and see where this goes.

School started a month ago. I’m finding it hard to believe that I’m a senior, let alone that I’m so far into my senior year. Even though according to the calendar, summer is still around for another week, my summer has long since ended. With the end of free time and relaxation came the end of my summer food project.

On the first day of school, I wasn’t just getting used to seeing old classmates and studying new subjects, I was also getting used to eating without photographing. How strange to be able to bring a sandwich to school without also bringing a camera! In general, I didn’t find my project this summer to be inconvenient, but it’s end has made me realize the perks of eating without constant camera action. Now I can eat my toast while it is still hot and my cereal before it gets soggy. I can grab an apple to eat in the car without worrying about driving, eating, and photographing all at once. At parties, I don’t have to stand around awkwardly snapping pictures of buffets or paper plates piled with chips and dips.

Quitting food photography cold turkey at the beginning of school was shocking, because overnight, the significance of each piece of food plummeted. Now a plate of pasta is just a plate of pasta, not a subject to be recorded and filed away; a peach is just a peach, not a model turning this way and that to capture the light. I still carry Ellis Avery almost everywhere, and I photograph all of my particularily interesting or beautiful food. For that reason, I’ve still been trying to post here fairly regularly, as I hope you have noticed, because even if I don’t take ten food photographs each day, I still generate quite a few photographs that I’d like to share with the world.

Taking pictures of everything I eat for an entire summer was my crash course in food photography. I’ve never taken a photography class or a cooking class, but I feel that through experience, I have grown and improved. While at some point in the future I would love to take classes in both of those areas, before that time I hope that I continue to take pictures of my food and post them here. I’ve found great pleasure in creating this blog, and I hope that at least a few people read what I write and take some small amount of pleasure from it.

So there we have it. Perhaps at some point in the future, I will go back and rewrite this more eloquently, but it's late, I'm tired, I have a whole week of school ahead of me, and this will suffice for now.

(September, 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment