Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Sweet-Tarts

This tart is hard to classify as a success or a failure. Yes, it was beautiful. Yes, it was delicious. Yes, it was easy. But I would certainly not call it a perfect recipe. If I make it again, I will definitely be making changes.

It was certainly easy and fun to make, though. It required no baking whatsoever. The crust was graham-cracker crumbs with melted butter; we added gingersnaps to the graham crackers for a little extra fun. We patted down the crumbs into a big tart pan, and set it in the fridge. The recipe didn't say to cook it at all, but if I was to repeat this, I would probably pop the crust by itself into the oven for a few minutes, like the crust of key lime pie. I think that would help the crust stay crisp and together.

On top of the crust was a marscapone layer. It started with a yolk and some sugar, which made a thick paste, which we blended with lots of marscapone. After folding in one whipped egg white, it was soft and smooth and oh so creamy. I squeezed in some lemon juice and mixed everything together. This part actually reminded me quite a bit of the fool that we made earlier in the summer. 
I spread that mix across the crust in a thick layer, then Zoe arranged the beautiful berries. The original recipe called for white currants and blackberries, which I think would be amazing, but we used what we had. 

While the tart looked stunning, it was not so much to look at once it was served. The crust wasn't hard, so it just fell apart and would not sit in pretty slices on our plates. I think if I did this again, I would do it in individual ramekins to avoid serving problems. 

1 comment:

  1. The recipe should involve blindfolding the guests before serving.

    ReplyDelete