Sunday, October 10, 2010

Blender Tsimmes

On the day that we were leaving for Massachusetts several summers ago, my mom had a To Do list that was miles long. She was completely overwhelmed and frustrated and didn't even know where to begin. So how she start? With a few hours in the kitchen making applesauce. 
On Friday, I had no idea where to start. I had a concerto competition to practice for, homework to do, essays to write, and a theater project to get ready for. Yet the only thing that I could think of doing was boiling carrots for a crazy concoction that had been dancing in my head for a while



A few days before, we had sweet potatoes that needed to be eaten. We roasted a few to eat that night and boiled the others, which were left in the fridge. Since the moment they were placed in the fridge, I was plotting what to do with them. My first thought was to mash them. Reading through Gourmet Today, I was intrigued by the idea of a carrot puree, so I decided that my sweet potato mash would have mashed carrots with it. That combination reminded me of tsimmes, one of my favorite dishes on the Passover table, so I decided to add prunes. (Prunes are this year's winner of the Bea's New Favorite Dried Fruit Award. Previous winners include cranberries, dried cherries, and Trader Joe's giant raisins.) With my strange concoction planned out, I was just waiting for an opportunity to make it.


That afternoon, I began with peeling, slicing, and boiling carrots. While they were cooking, I blended the sweet potatoes with a bit of milk, a bit of water, and a bit of carrot cooking water. I blended the carrots as well, and mixed the two together with chopped prunes as I heated it up on the stove. For some strange reason, we had pumpkin seeds in the house as well, so I toasted a handful to toss on top. Et voila! Bea's fabulous blender tsimmes! It was smooth and creamy and rich, and very delicious. It could be a very good side with just about any meat dish, although it was a little labor intensive for every day cooking.

1 comment:

  1. OK, I grumbled about this, but it really was delicious, like a thumb and a warm blanket.

    ReplyDelete