Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Like A Big Petsi Pie


When I spotted Somerville as the location of one of the top ten pie shops in Bon Apetit, I immediately knew I would be headed there the next time I was in Boston. Petsi Pies is a short walk away from my dad's house, so even though I couldn't remember the name, Diane knew where to take me.



 The store was impossibly adorable. The pie selection was surprisingly classic; it included a few savory pies, the usual dessert pies available in multiple sizes, and many other baked goods. In a tiny room to the right of the counter were a few tables and chairs and a shelf of cookbooks along one end. Sitting and reading a good cookbook with a slice of pie is my idea of the perfect afternoon.

None of us were really hungry (we were about to go home to eat Armenian food), but we couldn't leave empty-handed. My dad and I chose three treats to take home, which we shared one by one at three different meals: apple pie, bourbon chocolate pecan pie, and gingerbread. 

The apple pie was really delicious in a very traditional way. I microwaved it because I was really craving something warm and cinnamony. It collapsed into a bubbling pile of apple goo; it was delicious. The bourbon chocolate pecan pie was my favorite of the three, but that could be expected due to my diagnosis as a chocoholic of the worst kind. It was definitely more of a chocolate pie than a pecan pie, but that's as it should be. 

Our one non-pie selection was some delicious gingerbread. It was adorably packaged with an x of crystallized ginger on top. While I did really enjoy the gingerbread, it was a tiny bit dry and could have used some applesauce or whipped cream or even ice cream.



All in all, I was very happy with Petsi Pies. Everything I ate from there was delicious, plus the atmosphere was perfect. The only thing is that I was hoping for a Jeni's (by the way, Oakvale Young Gouda with Vodka-Plumped Cranberries? Star Anise with Candied Fennel? Olive Oil with Sea Salted Pepitas? YES PLEASE), and I was given Haagen-Dazs. And don't get me wrong, Haagen-Dazs is amazing, but the flavors, while perfectly executed, are nothing original. 

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to try those new Jeni's flavors. It's killing me!

    ReplyDelete