Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Ben's Saltine Things



There it is: the best part of a debate meet. Yes, I like meeting other smart high schoolers. Yes, I like sharing ideas about current events. Yes, I love my debate team. But Ben's saltine things? They're the reason I go again and again, every weekend. Sometimes he doesn't make them for a tournament. I inevitably lose. How does that make your conscience feel, Ben?

Ben's saltine things are the completely perfect debate food, containing nothing more than the necessary food groups: butter, sugar, white flour, salt, and chocolate. Ah. So good. These keep me in the perfect sugar-high ready to debate mode.

While I know that I could easily make these myself, I have never tried. There is something sacrilegious about eating them when not dressed for a tournament. And if I made them, they'd be Bea's Saltine Things and not Ben's Saltine Things, and that doesn't have quite the same ring.

I once thought that my obsession with these cracker cookies was unique. Nobody else quite understood my love for these tasty treats. Imagine my surprise when I found out that the humble cracker is quite a phenomenon! I found them on Smitten Kitchen, the home of all things delicious and heavenly, and then yesterday, they were in the New York Times! Of course, they get the name wrong, with Deb saying "chocolate caramel crack(ers) and the Times saying saltine cracker brickle. I much prefer the ambiguity in the label "things" to the onomatopoeia of "brickle." But maybe that's just me. Either way, I'm glad these crackers have finally achieved the fame they deserve.

3 comments:

  1. I'm very sorry to say that I officially do not like Ben's saltine things, but perhaps that is because I have not tried them. I have not tried them perhaps because I am afraid that I will like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa. These look like they could blow my mind. I am sort of a Smitten Kitchen addict, and even I had never seen these crackers on her site!!! It will be (or break) my new years resolution to try these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for ben davis.

    -Idon'tdocongress

    ReplyDelete