Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Cranberries for Christmas



Every winter, we pull out the November 2001 issue of Gourmet  to find the cranberry turtle bars. These impressive little bars are a tradition in our household as my mom's standard gift for hosts or teachers. They are the perfect balance of tart and sweet in a bite-size package.


I tell myself that the addictive cookies are healthy because of the fresh cranberries and the pecans, but there is no way that the number of them that I eat is healthy.


Above is the best Christmas present I have ever received. I know that wherever I end up in life, my matryoshka measuring cups will be at home in my kitchen. Thank you, Shriya!




Making the caramel is the scary part of this recipe. Several times, it was completely ruined and my mom had to start from the very beginning. I think she's got it down, though, because both batches this year have been perfect.


Are you impressed with the left-handed photography skills below? I think you should be.



My mom amuses herself with the chocolate on top. She is a master at treble clefs.


Also, just reminding you in case you don't do this already: always click on the pictures to view them large! That's the only real way to appreciate them. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. New people who tasted and loved these 2010: Bill Grubb; Diane Damico; Mary Mackay and Edward Wheatley. I think Joel and Marikay have had them before. Nice compliment from Diane: "They were so good, I started cutting them in half to make the tin last longer."

    ReplyDelete