Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Miso Soup

After 27.5 years of living on my street, I believe that have enough experience to say that it is undeniably the single best street in the entire universe. Maybe I don't have much with which to compare my little avenue, but I'm quite confident in my assertion. Our street is overflowing with the most neighborly of neighbors and the most childlike children that anyone has ever seen. The neighbors gather for parties and games or simply to play football in the street. Whenever anyone is in need, he doesn't have to look far to find someone to help. 


An example of excellent neighbors: right after my mom's birthday, our neighbor from diagonally across the street came over bearing gifts. One thing that she brought was a box of miso and her recipe for miso soup. I love miso soup, but the only miso soup I had ever made was the instant kind. I had never actually used real miso, so I was very excited to try it out. 


We wanted to make miso soup for dinner tonight, but we'd be making a few changes. First, we didn't have any nori. Second, we knew we'd a more substantial soup for dinner, so we decided to throw in some ingredients: noodles, watercress, and tofu.




I wasn't quite sure what to expect with the miso. It turns out that white miso more or less has the texture and appearance of pumpkin puree. 




We boiled the noodles separately, then added them to the pot with the water, mushrooms, watercress, and tofu. We mixed in the miso (that we had blended with water) and green onions. Even with the extra ingredients we added, this was prepared extremely quickly.


Okay, so maybe this wasn't the most traditional miso soup, but it was really good. For something so light and quickly made, it was very filling and warming. The miso flavor wasn't very strong, so next time we'll use less water or more miso. And also, next time we are making a trip to the Asian grocery store for some nori! But now that I know how easy it is to make miso soup at home, so I'll definitely do it again soon.


3 comments:

  1. Last time I checked you were 17.5 .

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely gesture for your neighbor to make. I'll wager your mother was very pleased. The soup looks wonderful. I hope you have a great day and enjoy the weekend ahead. Blessings....Mary

    ReplyDelete