Sunday, January 23, 2011

Wilting Watercress (and Adverbs)

Watercress, a tragically ignored variety of rabbit food, is surprisingly delicious and excellently versatile. We bought some healthfully organic watercress at our conveniently located supermarket and used it in a refreshingly crisp salad.

Tonight, in search of a quickly prepared dinner, we speedily reheated some pasta (ingeniously, we had made far too much the day before) that contained sun-dried tomatoes, olives, broccoli, broccolini, and leeks. Freshly washed watercress piled loosely on top of the penne and elegantly wilted. With a casually sprinkled handful of toasted walnuts, our aromatically stimulating dinner was ready!

(Adverb usage as percent of total words used: 15.22%. Success? I think so.)

Pre-microwave pile of watercress:

Post-walnut-sprinkle plate of goodness: 


P.S. I have a beautiful little bottle of balsamic glaze that I am incredibly excited to use, but I can't decide what its initial use should be. I want my first balsamic-drizzled bite to be delicious and perfect. Any suggestions? I was thinking perhaps beets with balsamic glaze? Or maybe some meat, like balsamic chicken? Comment with any suggestions or opinions on what you'd like to see dripping with balsamic glaze!

3 comments:

  1. This dish was really delicious. I thought it might also be good served with a soft-boiled egg on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we should have watercress so often that it gets as large as 'chocolate' in the word cloud to the right. I bought more watercress today for miso and watercress soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have watercress quite often, though never in this type of recipe. This is a fabulous idea. I'm new to your blog and have just spent some time browsing through your earlier entries. I really like the food and recipes you feature here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete