Saturday, March 26, 2011

Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes with Mint Cream


My Starbucks drink, on the rare occasion that I go to Starbucks, is a mint steamer. It sounds weird, just warm milk with mint, but the sweet minty warmth is both comforting and refreshing. That's what immediately drew me to this recipe when I decided to make a gluten free chocolate dessert. On one of the first nights in Boston at Spring Break, some neighbors of my dad's were coming over for dinner and their daughter can't have gluten. I wanted to bake something with chocolate, but most flourless chocolate cakes aren't very kid friendly. These chocolate souffle cupcakes with mint whipped cream are light and fun while still being elegant. 



The cupcakes use lots of whipped eggs to achieve a light, airy texture, completely unlike the dense texture of most flourless desserts. Apparently white chocolate is so processed that it can also pose a problem to people with gluten intolerance, so I skipped the white chocolate in the cream topping and just whipped up some cream with a bit of sugar, some peppermint extract, and a drop of food coloring. The whipped cream turns flourless chocolate cake from intense to lighthearted. 


And here is the dinner which my lovely cupcakes followed. Diane made chicken with mashed potatoes, roasted asparagus, and balsamic carrots. 

1 comment: