Thursday, May 5, 2011

For J. Alfred


For my dad's birthday, we knew we'd have to have a whole lot of cake. After going back and forth about what kind of cake to make, (she wanted cream cheese frosting, I wanted mocha) we decided to make two cakes.


The first was a flat carrot cake with maple cream cheese frosting, which was easy and delicious. I'd never made carrot cake before, but it's my favorite to order when I'm out in a restaurant. Now I know I'll be making carrot cake at home more often! The frosting was a little sweet for me, but it was still really good.




The second cake was my baby. It's my favorite cake that I've ever made, by far. The cake was a very basic chocolate cake made in two large rectangular pans. We split the layers, to make four layers, then piled it up: cake, raspberry jam, cake, mocha frosting, cake, raspberry jam, cake, frosting. The cake was moist and rich, just perfect for my dad's birthday.


And this is one of those embarrassing moments. Of all the many people who looked at my cake, why did no one inform me that my beautiful white chocolate cursive spelled out "happy birlhday!"?



No comments:

Post a Comment