Friday, July 1, 2011

Raspberry Yogurt Muffins


Walking in to campus a few days ago, I grabbed a few raspberries from the bush in the alley that I still think of as Zoe's. I nibbled as I walked; the berries were gone too soon. On my way home, I stopped again and grabbed a few more. They were ripe and sweet, as if I had discovered them in a clearing in a dark forest, not in an abandoned alleyway sprinkled with broken beer bottles. I popped another handful of soft red berries in my mouth, then a few more. Whose bush was this? And why weren't they eating their berries? The overripe berries made it clear that no one was taking advantage of this bush. Before I knew what I was doing, I pulled an empty bag out of my purse (it's amazing what one can find in there) and I was picking every ripe berry in sight. I'm not sure how long I stood bent over, oblivious to passersby, but it must have been a while because I listened to Gracie five times in a row.


Back at home, I poured the berries into a colander and washed them, then measured them. That scrawny little bush had given me 1 1/2 cups of berries. And you know what they say: when life gives you raspberries, make raspberry yogurt crumb muffins.


I started with the batter for a Smitten Kitchen blueberry loaf cake, but I wanted mini muffins, not a loaf. I replaced the lemon syrup with a crumb topping because I've never made muffins before and I didn't want to pass up a streusel opportunity. 


The results were adorable. I dare you to show me anything cuter than a pink-speckled streusel mini-muffin. And for my first muffins, they were delicious. The fruit and yogurt made them incredibly moist and light. I'm definitely going to make these again.

I brought them to work to keep them away from my hungry little hands and they disappeared extremely quickly. I saved just one, which is sitting in a tupperware on the counter waiting for my mom. She insists she doesn't like muffins, but she'll like this one.


Raspberry Crumb Muffins
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

For muffins:
1 1/2 cups plus 1 T flour
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 cup yogurt
1 cup plus 1 T sugar
3 eggs
2 t lemon zest
1/2 t vanilla
1/2 cup vegetable oil (or olive oil or half and half)
1 1/2 cup raspberries

For crumb topping: (I did half of this, but I don't think they were crumby enough for me)
1 cup flour
1/2 t baking powder
6 T butter
1/3 cup brown sugar

Preheat the oven to 350.
Stir together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt.
In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, eggs, lemon zest, vanilla, and oil. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix the raspberries with the remaining tablespoon of flour, and fold them into the batter.

Make the crumb topping in another bowl (your empty dry ingredient bowl, for example).
Mix the flour and baking powder. Melt the butter in the microwave and stir the sugar into it. Add the butter/sugar to the flour and stir.

Grease your muffin cups and spoon in the batter to make them about 3/4 of the way full. Crumble some crumb topping over each muffin. Bake until the top no longer looks wet, the edges are golden, and a toothpick comes out clean.

2 comments:

  1. I know a lot of folks who don’t eat eggs (they’re allergic, for health reasons, or concerns about animal cruelty). Here’s an awesome site that gives tips on cooking and baking without eggs: http://EggFreeLiving.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm but erickson eggs are great and no cruelty in sight!

    ReplyDelete