Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Time and Tacos

At noon today, under a light drizzle of rain, I ran back from the cafeteria with paper plates precariously stacked. At the bottom was my big mound of salad (romaine with mandarin oranges, cranberries, walnuts, balsamic vinegar and olive oil), followed by a mozzarella and tomato sandwich for my roommate, and then the top plate had a thick slice of lemon pound cake to share for dessert. I carried this treasure to a conference room where I met my roommate, a few friends and a few strangers for a lunchtime workshop on time management. I nibbled my romaine while the first-year dean talked to the roomful of girls about the battle between organization and procrastination. 

I can't stop thinking about the workshop. While I didn't learn any new tricks for saving time or a better way to manage my schedule, we did an exercise in delegating the hours in a week to specific purposes that I can't forget. On a time sheet of a typical week, we shaded in every time commitment. I crossed off the night for sleeping, a few hours for classes, more hours for tutoring, p.e., orchestra rehearsals, meals, and club meetings. We counted up the remaining free hours and I had around fifty hours left between all seven days. Next the dean had us calculate how many hours we should spend on average studying and preparing for class; she said for my courseload, around forty hours is about right. Subtract and you find my remaining unscheduled time to be ten hours per week. I'm allotting myself ten hours a week for practicing cello, doing laundry, writing articles, taking showers, blogging, cleaning my room, cooking, keeping up my journal, going to the gym... 

Is my schedule insane? Clearly. Do I want to change it? Not at all. I don't know why I'm here and I don't know where I'm going, but I like where I am. I think I was born to be a college student. 


P.S. An update on exactly what is filling up my schedule: I'm working on whittling down the list of activities in which I want to participate and at the moment, I think it's down to three. This evening was my first orchestra rehearsal. I had forgotten how wonderful it feels to be a part of something so big and so beautiful. Straight from rehearsal, I ran to join my new friends in the Columbia Culinary Society. I was one of two leaders in a cooking class on making sweet and savory microwaved baked apples in your dorm room. We had a lot of fun playing with flavor combinations. And my third organization is, of course, the Spectator. I'm going to be writing a biweekly blog post comparing dishes from local restaurants, plus if I have time, I'll write additional articles for the daily newspaper. My first Spectrum blog post comparing two taquerias came out today, so check it out!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post! Too bad the eyebrow conducting of Mravinsky is no longer available!

    ReplyDelete