Sunday, September 11, 2011

What I've Learned

I moved in two weeks ago, and so far I've tried almost every cafeteria on campus and chosen my favorite, I have finished my box of dental floss but haven't had time to buy another, I've worked out at the gym once, I've purchased envelopes and tupperware at the Kmart in the East Village, I've done two loads of laundry, I have strolled around Harlem with some friends, I have spent one sweaty night convinced I would die of strep throat, I've pressed through the crowds of beautiful people on Fashion's Night Out, and I've even sat through three days of classes. I'm learning a lot (mostly people's names) and there's nowhere I'd rather be.


Lesson One: It's good that I brought about fifteen pairs of shoes to school with me, because New York is full of beautiful places to walk. The High Line is a beautifully put together elevated park where you can strong along concrete paths between natural gardens for over a mile. There's even a lawn to lie on while you suck on a popsicle. If you look hard enough, you can find anything you need in the city, even green space.  


Lesson Two: New Yorkers are nicer than they'd like you to believe. No one has laughed at me when I ask for directions to the nearest subway stop or even when I'm on the train in the wrong direction. When I didn't have enough cash to buy macarons at Ruthy's in Chelsea Market, she gave them to me anyway.


Lesson Three: Dorm food isn't as bad as you'd expect. I'm not saying I'd gobble down everything that appears in the dining hall, but there's always something good to eat. Feeding hundreds of girls every day, the kitchen staff know to keep the salad bar fresh and full (you should have seen the riot when the romaine was finished and not refilled for ten whole minutes) and to have plenty of cake. 

1 comment:

  1. Looks like some fine carrot cake--my current obsession. Best piece ever was at the Getty VIlla.

    I think you meant to say, "...she gave them to me anyway." "Anyways " I'll allow as a quaint colloquialism, but you need that little preposition!

    15 pairs? REALLY?? I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete