Friday, October 14, 2011

Dorm Room Cooking

I miss cooking. I miss the freedom to eat anything at any time and I miss the control I have over every detail of my meal. I miss the chaotic mess on the counter during preparation and I miss the smoothness of my soapy hands when I'm washing dishes.

I miss buying groceries so much that I've stopped seeing the dishes at the dining hall as complete meals and started seeing ingredients begging to be reformatted. What if I stir fry the raw tofu, broccoli, and baby corn from the salad bar and serve it over rice taken from the action station? What if I roast cherry tomatoes from the salad bar then toss them with hot pasta from the home station and fresh arugula?

Today, I decided that I would find a way to cook even without any equipment. My main constraints were that I have no pots, cutting boards, or utensils and that the kitchen is filthy and I have no way to clean it (paper towels and hand soap isn't working so well). I took a few things from the dining hall and gathered my materials on the table in the lounge. Ready, set, devilled eggs.




Dorm Room Devilled Eggs

Ingredients/Materials:
mayonnaise packets (from the dining hall)
spicy mustard (dining hall)
salt and pepper packets (from McDonald's)
hard boiled eggs (poached (lol) from the salad bar)
pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds (salad bar)
romaine (salad bar)
plastic camping plate and bowl
plastic knife and spoon

On the plastic plate, cut each egg in half. Scoop out the yolks with your spoon and put them in the bowl. Add three or so mayonnaise packets, some mustard, and some salt and pepper. Squish the yolks with the back of the spoon and mix well. Spread the lettuce on the plate and arrange the whites around the lettuce. Scoop the yolk mixture into the whites and garnish with pumpkin and sunflower seeds. Admire your creation and enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. Yeehaw! Hallelujah. Sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, now this is what I call resourceful! ;) Love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I wouldn't give for a deviled egg right this minute! I love eating them but rarely make them. I always seem to like them better if someone else has prepared them, but you make it look so easy, maybe I'll have a go! xo, Kitti

    ReplyDelete