Saturday, March 31, 2012

All Wrapped Up


I can hide in my room studying all I like, but warm April breezes still slide through my window tempting me to abandon the books and take a nap in the sun. The little birds who sing each morning outside my window don't let me forget that spring has come.  Roasted vegetables and thick stews are nice enough for winter, but I need something lighter and more fun to match the weather.



I made these beautiful little summer rolls over spring break with my friend Laura for a quick lunch. Though fussy to put together, they were fun and light and delicious. The beauty of these rolls is that they're delicious with any ingredients. I used very basic fillings for my rice paper wrappers, but they are even better with some grilled shrimp, tofu, mango, or anything else you can dream up. I look forward to making variations on these rolls all summer!



Summer Rolls

rice paper rounds
cellophane noodles or rice noodles, cooked according to package directions and cooled
vegetables, sliced very thinly (think carrot, celery, cabbage, cucumber, lettuce)
fresh herbs (basil, mint, cilantro)
other fillings as desired

One at a time, dip a rice paper round in warm water and leave a few seconds until it is soft. Remove from the water and put on a plate, blotting with paper towel to remove excess liquid. Arrange rice noodles and vegetables in the center of the rice paper wrapper. Roll tightly (burrito-style). 

Continue with all rolls, then slice and serve with peanut sauce. 

Note: even if a few come out looking like this, they'll still be delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment