Saturday, June 2, 2012

Rainy Day Cucumbers


Daddy and I were raiding the fridge to find something to make for lunch. He grabbed a cucumber and suggested some sort of salad. Even though it's June, it's one of those dreary cold days that makes me drag out my fuzzy slippers and sip a cup of tea all day long, so I didn't think I could handle any cold food. Luckily I thought of the delicious sounding coconut cucumbers from this month's Bon Appetit. Sauteed with chopped tomatoes, sliced chilis, garlic, and scallions, these flavorful cucumbers seemed perfect for a warm lunch. Except we didn't have most of the ingredients. Instead, we devised an extremely simplified version. We cooked cucumber slices and beautiful yellow tomatoes gently, and added just a little bit of coriander chutney for a tiny hint of spice. The flavors were delicate and delicious. Cooked cucumbers are extremely tender, sweet, and juicy. I'm going to have to make a mental note to cook cucumbers more often!


Sauteed Cucumber and Tomato

canola or other veggie oil
1 large cucumber, peeled and sliced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half

Heat a small amount of oil in a big skillet. When hot, add the cucumbers and cook for 2-3 minutes, until they are beginning to soften. Add the tomatoes and cook until the cucumbers are becoming translucent. Stir in the cilantro chutney and serve hot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment