Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Pancakes on a Diet

No matter how much criticism fad diets get, there must be a little bit of good in each diet. If it was complete disgusting nonsense, it wouldn't be popular enough to qualify as a fad. I recently read Dr. Dukan's diet book, which is full of complete crap (suck on ice cubes and watch the pounds float away!) but also has a few nice tips and recipes.

My favorite thing about the Dukan diet is that he is totally obsessed with oat bran. Gluten-free and full of fiber, it was the perfect thing for me to add to my diet. Dukan recommends having a certain amount of bran every day, whether the bran is sprinkled on yogurt, cooked to make hot cereal, or made into his most amazing creation- the oat bran galette. I've changed a few things about his galette to make it less obsessive and more delicious, and the savory pancakes have become my new favorite meal. 



Bea's Doctored-Up Dukan Pancakes
Make one big galette or three smaller pancakes. Either way, you'll be impressed with the light texture of these gluten-free, high-protein, fiber-filled cakes. 
I prefer these to be savory, so I put in salt and pepper and serve it with ketchup and/or mustard. If you want to go the other way, you should totally drizzle your pancakes with honey and serve with fruit and yogurt. 

2 T plain Greek yogurt
2 T oat bran
1 egg, separated*
salt**, pepper, red pepper flakes, and other spices to taste
olive oil***

Mix the yolk, yogurt, and oat bran with any spices you desire. Beat the egg white until it has soft peaks. Heat a little olive oil in a pan. While it's heating, fold the white into the yolk mixture. 
When the pan is ready, drop the batter into the pan by the spoonful and cook like pancakes. Serve with chutney, ketchup, mustard, or salsa. 

*Dr. Dukan would say trash the yolk and just use the protein-filled white. I vote that throwing away a yummy, nutritious yolk is a crime. 
**Finicky Dukan says no salt, but I say that's absurd. 
***The persnickety doctor would recommend using no oil/butter at all to grease the pan because he's afraid of the fat. I don't think a little olive oil ever hurt anyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment